Saturday, September 10, 2011

Moar Script + How Many Choices?

This does not necessarily sequentially follow the last script, I'm sort of just writing whenever I get ideas.

It is also obviously a first draft and will be subject to many edits and changes. If you yourself can offer any (constructive) criticisms, feel free to do so. I would like to say that I wrote this while both tired and sick, so if there is a number of errors, don't be surprised.

BG: Sakuragaoka High

The first day of school is here. As I walk past the gates of Sakuragaoka Gir- Wait, no, I suppose it wouldn’t be a Girl’s School any more. I walk past the gates of Sakurgaoka High School, and immediately feel a hundred stares in my direction. I look around, and sure enough, most of the girls in the school are looking straight at me.

I understand I might not exactly be the most common sight - A boy at, up until a month ago, an all girls school - But did they have to look at me like some sort of freak show? I notice lots of girls chatting while looking at me, laughing as they do so. What, is there something on my face?

I decide to not be out in public any longer than I have to, and begin to hurry towards the gym for the entrance ceremony.

FN: [PN]-chaaaaaaan!

Or so I thought, anyways. I feel a mass slam into my back and arms wrap around me as [FN] half tackles, half hugs me. I notice the stares get a bit more intense.

PN: Would you get off me!

I push him off my back. If there’s going to be rumors about the new boys at this school, I’d rather they not be those sorts of rumors.

FN: How can you be so hostile, PN-chan? The fact that we both got into the same school proves that the countless gods want us to be with one another.

He gives me a wry grin, which I have to fight back the urge to slap off his silly looking face.

PN: And amongst the countless gods are countless trickster gods who enjoy seeing the misery of humans.

FN: Sure, sure. Hey, PN, let’s go sit together for the entrance ceremony!

I know no matter what I do, FN is going to be right by my side, so I let him tag along.

Fade to: BG: Auditorium/Gym

We find seats in the designated boys section for the entrance ceremony, and wait for the principal’s speech to begin.

Principal: Ahh, yes, umm, welcome to Sakuragaoka High School, previously known as Sakuragaoka Girl’s High School…

The speech is the usual hour-long drivel about being responsible students and making sure you study, the sort of stuff that I nearly fall asleep to. FN, on the other hand, does fall asleep. I turn to see the poor kid completely knocked out by the principal’s speech, head nodding as he tries desperately to stay awake.

Principal: Ahh, yes, and, umm, as you all, uhh, know, with the unfortunate accident which robbed us of one of our most honoured institutes of learning last month, but which thankfully took no lives, Sakuragaoka has compassionately opened it’s arms to some of the former students of that school.

This was our cue. It was going to be annoying, but we had to do it. I shook FN awake

FN: Uhh, the… The answer is… Four, teacher.

PN: This isn’t math class. We have to go up on the stage, come on.

FN somehow manages to wake up enough to walk up the stage with me. We stand in spots marked by tape, as the principal spouts some more stuff about the importance of generosity. FN looks as though he might fall asleep where he stands.

As the principal gives his speech, I take the time to look around. Apparently there’s about nine other boys from our same school who are transferring in with us, but I don’t recognize any of them. I look out at the crowd and see the mass of girls sitting and staring intently at us as the principal gives his speech.

I sincerely hope that the time I spend here isn’t going to be time spent being stared at all the time. Are boys really that much of an oddity to these girls?

Principal: Ahh, yes, umm, I would now like to ask our new boys to please introduce themselves.

He says “Ask”, but the fact of the matter is this is just something we have to do for the sake of politeness and tradition.

The other boys go up one by one, each giving an extremely unenthusiastic introduction, each getting an extremely unenthusiastic round of applause. I almost imagine there’s a sign above the stage that lights up with an “APPLAUSE” to let them know when to clap. Eventually, though, it’s my turn.I walk up to the microphone, trying to be as calm and normal looking as possible. It’s a bit hard to do with a few hundred girls all staring at you.

PN: Nice to meet you. My name is PN. Please take care of my for my stay here!

I bow, and get an extremely unenthusiastic round of ap- Wait, no I don’t. There’s something different about the clapping this time. It’s like… They’re almost excited for me. I come out of the bow, and notice that the girls are staring at me with those same looks. I return to my spot, confused a bit. FN goes after me.

FN: Hello!

God damnit. I need to make sure I act like I don’t know him after this entrance ceremony.

FN: Nice to meet you all! My name is FN! I humbly ask that thou all take care of me.

I really, REALLY need to make sure I act like I don’t know that kid.

He actually gets a few laughs as he cheerfully walks back to his spot. If you told me this kid was a wizard, I wouldn’t be surprised, the things he manages to do.

The others after us finish their introductions, and we return to our seats to try desperately to stay awake for the remainder of the principal’s speech.

Eventually, the principal’s speech ends, and we’re released to find what classes we’ve ended up in.
----------  ----------  ----------  ----------  ----------  ----------  ----------  ----------  ----------

First of all, if anybody has detailed knowledge on how the whole first day of Japanese high school works, I'd love it if you could contact me so I know how to make this go.

Second of all, what do you guys think for the number of choices we put in this VN? Many VNs have many different philosophies regarding that. Some have choices every ten minutes, others have only a handful of choices, and some seek a happy medium.

So let me ask you guys: How many choices do you think this VN should have?

7 comments:

  1. "I almost imagine there’s a sign above the stage that lights up with an “APPLAUSE” to let them know when to clap. Eventually, though, it’s my trm"

    "Time" is misspelled in the beginning where the boys are introducing themselves to the rest of the school.

    For choices, I like a happy medium. Games like Night of the Forget-Me-Nots which throw dozens of choices at you around every corner are not fun. It's because you have to navigate the labyrinth they make to get all the endings and CG.

    On the other hand, games that have slim to none in choice quantity just aren't as fun for me. I don't feel as strongly for them, however, as I do for games that give you a whole lot of choices. It's just when I think of a visual novel, I think of getting to unlock various endings.

    For a VN about the happy, energetic girls of K-On!, I think having a happy medium that just barely leans towards "choices every ten minutes" would be best. There are adventures to be had with those girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that was a really embarrassing typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just thought I'd let you know that if this project starts to take off, I offer free sponsorship to small developers making Japanese-style media.
    We're currently getting ready to release Clannad: The Past Path.

    So, if you're interested in this, email me as soon as you can, and I'll be keeping an eye on this!
    dcndancube@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you don't see the thread on /a/, http://archive.easymodo.net/a/thread/54540238

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it so far. I do like a good number of choices, but that's based on how dedicated your team is. Choices usually make splits in the game path, do they not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interestingly enough, no. Especially not in the games with a choice every ten minutes. It might cause a SLIGHT change in the scene right after, maybe for five minutes, but it doesn't create an ENTIRE new branch from just one little decision.

    Of course, if the VN in question doesn't have many choices at all, then chances are, yes, that choice IS going to make an entire new branch. But if you don't have many choices then you obviously don't have to worry about too many branches.

    ReplyDelete